Sunday, February 20, 2011

BEING A MAMA BEAR

Some might say that there are those of us who are "too passionate" about cat rescue or about cats in general. I've seen that expression on the faces of those around me countless times, whether it be at the office, someone I've encountered through volunteering in cat rescue, or someone who visits our home and discovers that we have cats. I'm sure many of you can relate to what I'm referring to, those that feel a cat is just a cat and why such a big deal to protect them?

When I was younger, I would have said I loved cats, now having become so involved in cat rescue, and having seen the abuse, neglect and abandonement that these animals suffer at the hands of others who treat them as if they are disposable garbage that's just gotten in the way of living life, I would say I am entirely passionate about cats. As such, I am also incredibly protective of cats - ESPECIALLY the ones that reside in our home, whether our own or guests that are currently staying with us through fostering.

Farley is not going to be adopted this weekend as I had previously thought. That just goes to show that things are not always what they seem, and that in the end, in fostering you have to be prepared to put the needs of your foster first before the needs and wants of those that may express interest in adopting. They need those of us who are deemed as their protectors, to do just that, protect, and there should be no reason to feel the need to apologize, explain, or rationalize that responsibility, or the intensity with which you as a foster parent perform that role.

Foster care cats are not circus animals. They should not be expected to perform like "the perfect cat" - whatever the heck that even means, nor should they be scrutinized for being individuals and as such, having their likes and dislikes just as do the rest of us. As a foster parent it is my job, and I do it willingly and with full intent, to love and protect these precious little souls that come to stay at Safe Haven so that their second chance is truly that.



2 comments:

  1. Fosters know the animal best :) Its awesome when i hear that a foster parent put the animal first and said no to something that wasn't right rather then go for the easy "sure, lets get this one adopted".

    You made my day reading this

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what is best for your foster, you always listen to your intuition. When the time is right, Farley will find the right, loving forever home. God Bless people like you.

    ReplyDelete